Wednesday 22 April 2015

Esaias van de Velde meets Rembrandt

I've stared for a long time at this painting, and searched for an artist or example, and I can't find it. It is very, very good, but I just can't pinpoint it.

For sale at Golding Young in Lincoln, 22 April 2015, it is estimated at £800 to 1,200 only. Described as "18th century Dutch School, figures at a table", it measures 36 by 55 cm.

I see no reason to date it to the 18th century, everything about it says 1630 or thereabouts. The style is a mixture of Rembrandt and Jan Van Goyen, and the subject is closer to Esaias Van de Velde. But I haven't found any example of a painting which is comparable in the combination of subject and style. Teniers has made paintings which have outdoor tavern scenes and a similar style and colour, but they are Flemish peasant scenes, not Dutch gallantry.

Jan Van Goyen has a similar style of trees and airs, and the right period. But I can't find any work with a similar subject.

Esaias Van de Velde has comparable garden parties, with pieces of pottery or metalwork in the front (something other artists did as well); but the painting lacks the nervousness (which together with the colouring made me say Rembrandt, even though it isn't by him).

But no matter by whoever it is, it should be worth a lot more than the estimate. UPDATE: not sold!

No comments:

Post a Comment