Thursday 12 March 2015

First! Picture I highlighted now for sale at another auction


In this post of 21 January 2015, I discussed a painting with a very old (too hopeful) Brueghel attribution, but which was otherwise intriguing, interesting, and in my opinion undervalued at 300 to 500 Euro, at Carlo Bonte.


Someone obviously agreed (no idea if this blog alerted them to it though), bought it, apparently had it cleaned (or the picture just gives that impression), and now offers it at Mercier on 22 March 2015 as "Flemish School, ca. 1620" (seems late to me if it is original, I would guess second half of the 16th century). They also changed the subject from "allegorical scene" to "Parable de 'l'ivraie", matching my identification of it as the "Parable of the Tares" (ignoring my typo of Pares for Tares in my original post).

It is now estimated at 3,000 to 4,000 Euro, which is at least more realistic of the value of such an exceptional work (in its own crude way) than the earlier estimation at Bonte. I don't know what it sold for at Bonte, presumably a lot less than the current estimation.

No comments:

Post a Comment