Wednesday 22 June 2016

Flemish Noli me Tangere is partial copy after Rubens or Jan Brueghel II

Hampel, from Germany, sells on 30 June 2016 a "Flemish Master, 17th century" Noli Me Tangere, estimated at 5,000 to 6,000 Euro.

The same composition can be found multiple times in other works, most attributed to Jan Brueghel II. The best copy, from the Rijksmuseum, is painted in the circle of Rubens. A variation with a straighter standing Christ also exists.

The one for sale, being a copy of lesser quality (and of later date, perhaps 18th century), will struggle to reach the estimate, and is probably worth closer to 3,000 Euro.

UPDATE: Hampel asked me in June 2017 to remove this post (the image and the information) because without permission of the owner of the painting, this was a copyright infringement. Which, obviously, it isn't, and is a preposterous claim. I guess they (owner and auction house) don't like it when I claim that their estimate  is way too high, but to censor this by claiming a copyright infringement and trying to get me to remove my analysis is poor form.

UPDATE 2: Hampel again demanded that I removed the image, or else they would set their lawyers on it. I again told them that they could go and waste their money on lawyers if  they have money to spare, but they don't own the copyright on the image in any case. In 2015, a year before Hampel, the painting was sold at Duesseldorf Auctions (for 600 Euro)...

No comments:

Post a Comment