Tuesday 27 September 2016

"Caravaggesque School" is one I located close to Valentin de Boulogne instead

Dorotheum, from Austria, sells on 18 October 2016 a "Caravaggesque School, 17th century" Bacchanal, a large work (142 by 217) estimated at 40,000 to 60,000 Euro.

It is a work I posted about on 22 January 2016, when it was for sale in France with an estimate of 4,000 to 7,000 Euro (which I thought was about right). It has since been restored quite intensely, and this is reflected in the new estimate. The auction house has no real idea who made it (Italian, Dutch (Bentvueghels), influenced by Spain), but my suggestion of the school of Valentin de Boulogne is not shared apparently.

While the work in its current condition is a lot more attractive, the deficiencies of the original largely remain. I wouldn't estimate it higher than 15,000 to 20,000 Euro.

UPDATE: sold for a whopping 54,000 Euro! I wonder who it will eventually be attributed to.

No comments:

Post a Comment