Friday 8 December 2017

"Spinning virgin revisited"

Badisches Auktionshaus, from Germany, sells on 13 December 2017 a "16th / 17th century" Mary with spindle, estimated at 800 Euro.

It immediately reminded me of one of my early blog posts from March 2015, on the "Virgin child spinning", a theme which is popular in so-called Cuzco painting. The painting then was a lot better than the one now (although this one is charming and not too amateuristic, which is often a plague with Cuzco paintings), but then again the estimate was 10,000 Euro, not 800 Euro.

Searching for more information on the one for sale now led me by a happy coincidence to more information on the painting I discussed back then.

I knew that it was sold at the previous auction, but not for how much. The new owner is Robert Simon Fine Art, a major Old Master dealer from New York City.

They have been able to attribute the painting to Juan Simon Gutierrez (1643-1718), and they describe it as "the earliest and most elaborate depiction of the Child Virgin Spinning theme." They also claim that the version in the Prado (which I also discussed in that earlier blog post) is also by Gutierrez. No indication of the current price, but it may be considerable...

They also seem to carry other paintings I discussed, e.g. this one.

The one for sale in Baden is probably a lot more recent than the description thinks, I would guess it is late 18th or 19th century. The value is probably about right. 


No comments:

Post a Comment