Friday 19 December 2014

Introduction

So, what is the actual purpose of this blog? When browsing auctions, I often encounter hidden gems, undervalued items, or things that I believe merit a wider or different audience than the one most served by that auction. As an augur, I search through the murky depths of the auctions to find lost treasure, things I would buy if I had more space and money. I may also add my own valuation, to keep things interesting for me. As I'm not a professional, take everything I post with a large grain of salt though.
The augur


My interest will mainly go to paintings and drawings (13th to 16th century generally, and later Flemish art), old books (until the 16th century, or books on art). Anything else that seems of interest may also appear of course. I'll post about upcoming auction items, usually the underestimated ones, sometimes the overestimated ones, and the occasional dubious attribution may appear as well.

I have no connection to the auction houses. I also don't have the idea that I could do their job better than they do; they value hundreds or thousands of wildly varying items, I can pick and choose the few I know anything about. My comments should be taken as opinion, not fact, and I don't give any guarantee about anything I praise or condemn; all sales are between you, the auction house and the seller, I'm just a sideline critic. But perhaps it'll help you to find that elusive painting or book you always wanted, or you may simply enjoy the glimpse of some minor work of art usually hidden in private collections.

Oh, and why in English? Well, to reach a wider audience of course. Flemish people usually understand English anyway, but the reverse is less common.

No comments:

Post a Comment